Friday, August 6, 2010

Regional Disparity

I was recently chatting with my friend who belongs to Chennai (I m from Pune) and we almost had an altercation when the topic related to who s’ city is better started. This made me think and I realized that every time anyone speaks ill about our city we tend to resist, by giving the best things about our city or at least looking down at the other persons’ city.
What is it that makes us do this when we know that all the cities have good as well as bad things? The reasons could be many, in my case I advocate for PUNE because:
Pune is the place where I have been during the most formative years of my life.
It is the place where my best friends stay.
It is the place where I feel sense of belonging and security.
It is the place where I got my education and job so my karma bhumi :P
But above all it is the EGO that whatever I do or have done is the best as against the others. Otherwise there is no reason why we lookdown to others city or anyplace for that matter.
Everyone compares (even if it is just for the sake of debate) and still India is called the country with unity in diversity when the people here are not even ready to appreciate others states or places.
Well it is of course geographically diverse hence making some regions climatically different from others, which in turn influences the habitat/environment and the culture and habits of the natives.
But where is the unity whenever you find a roommate in a new city don’t you go for the one from the same or similar area/state you belong, exceptions exists but not many. Let’s site some examples if we (in Maharashtra) say that Bihar is corrupt then one must not ignore the recent scam in Pune in the common wealth games preparation where lots of money is flowing but the readiness of the stadium is still not visible and there are hardly two months to go. If we call Pune the education and IT capital of the country it also has its drawbacks like rape and murder cases of the IT professionals and BPO employees that happened in the recent past and also the beating up of the student s from outside states and banning the celebration of friendship day and valentine’s day.
Doesn’t this call for a serious thought on how we undermine other states and isn’t it for all of us to reflect. These were just few examples but it could be eye opener. People argue that we must look at the positive side but this side should not be ignored, rather must not be ignored so why does this happen….
I believe it is because of the closed mindset of the people that they are not able to adjust to a new surrounding or appreciate any other place for that matter.
So, I have decided to have an open mind hence forth while talking to new people and when I visit new places

No comments:

Post a Comment